There are 3 major components of your metabolic rate.
- Basal Metabolic Rate – the amount of calories required to keep you ALIVE (like him^^^)
- Activity level – how much physical activity you participate in
- Thermic Effect of Food – the amount of calories needed to digest and utilize the nutrients you consume
So let’s talk about the 2 major factors that affect our Basal Metabolic Rate.
- Body composition – The more muscle mass we have, the more energy required to maintain that structure.
- Meal timing – Your metabolism responds every time you eat food. Excessively restricting calories or long periods of time will cause a decrease in BMR. Your body thinks you are starving! It tries to conserve every calorie possible. The opposite is also true. Eating small frequent meals will keep your metabolism stimulated and burning high.
What are you going to do about it this? The first thing to do after reading this post is to start planning out your small frequent meals. Make yourself a meal pattern and plan out the foods you want to pack with you for the day so you are prepared. The next thing to do is go pump some iron if you are not already. Maybe you are more of a cardio person, but for real, you need to get yourself lifting some stuff. Cardio burns a lot of calories during exercise, but resistance training = increased muscle gains = increased metabolism = total rippage = total awesomeness! Your welcome.